1st Birthday Party: DIY Popcorn Cup Favors


Okay, I went through my birthday party post just showing pics of some of the stuff I did. I wanted to post another posting to go into a little detail on how I did some of the stuff. I explained the invitations in my last posting. The tutu in another post. Now I'll go into more detail on my popcorn cup favors...

Popcorn Cup Favors:

I found my template here. I used a pack of (varying shades of) pink cardstock paper from Hobby Lobby. I used all of the colors in the pack to create a pretty variation when done. I printed my template right onto my 8 1/2 x11 cardstock paper. This way you don't waste time tracing around a cut out onto your paper. Remember this when buying your paper because you don't want to buy paper that's too big for your printer. Most home printers can't handle the 12x12 sheets. After printing out the template, it's time to start cutting. This may take some time so if you have a willing person to help please take it. You want to cut around both pieces. One of the 2 pieces has wings which are to be used to glue onto the inside of the other piece. To make it easier you'll want to score your lines that are to be folded. Every line (not including the outside line) is to be folded. You can buy a tool to do this in the card making section of any craft store or you can do like I did and use a letter opener.


This did the job just as well. Is it impossible to fold your paper without scoring the lines? Of course not, although it will extend the folding process and take you a lot longer to fold on the lines. I pre-folded my pieces prior to gluing. I glued the bottom of the piece without the flaps onto the inside bottom of the piece with the flaps.



Next step is to glue your flaps to begin completing the cup. You will need to hold them in place for a few seconds. I used regular Elmer's school glue. I tried hot glue but I don't think it's a good idea because it dries too fast before you can get your flaps into position and creates too many strings. All of you hot-gluers know what I mean.


After I finished my popcorn cups I created a little tag to glue onto the fronts using MS Word. I found a symbol that I liked and added text to the center that read, "A gift for you. Thank you for coming to my party." I printed several on a regular sheet of white paper, cut them out and glued them to the front of my cups.


Now, I needed to shop for the goodies that would go on the inside. I settled on Strawberry Nutrigrain bars, Dora the Explorer gummies, mini candy bars (Reese's, 3 Musketeers and Twix), Mini Fruit Roll Ups, and suckers. After I filled them with treats, I wrapped them in clear cellophane. I rolled out my cellophane and  cut it every 21 inches. This length is approximate simply because I measured my first piece and then used that piece as a guide in cutting the rest of the cellophane. I eyeballed it first to figure out how much cellophane I wanted. After it looked the way I wanted I wrote down how much I rolled out before I cut. A roll of cellophane gave me 6 sheets, that's the cellophane I bought from Joann's. The cellophane I bought from the Dollar Tree gave me 8 sheets at 21" lengths for each sheet. I used 2 different shades of pink curling ribbon that I bought from Hobby Lobby to tie the tops.

I think they turned out wonderfully. If you have any questions on any of the steps I took in completing my popcorn cups just shoot me a message. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. :)

Nina

Nashville area singer, actress, model and DIYer. I have a love for music and the arts. I'm also a bit of a math/computer geek. I've always thought of myself as being artistic and have grown to love interior decorating. ... I like to draw, paint, create unique things, give life to old things and learn more in the world of design. I also enjoy spending time with my family, playing sports, hanging out with friends, and working on my health and fitness.

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I came across your blog looking for ideas for my little maggies 1st birthday party and I want to tell you that your daughters party was adorable! Great job :-) I really love how you used all of the tissue poms and lanters in her room afterwards. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I had a blast doing all the decorating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you be willing to make these for people if they paid you? My daughters birthday if next month and i am not crafty at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you be willing to make these for someone who was willing to pay you, my daughters birtday is coming up and I am not crafty at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the time! My schedule is pretty full lately so unless the birthday party is early next year I know I wouldn't be able to complete them in time. How many would you need though?

      Delete

Let me know what you think!... and please be nice. ;) Unfortunately, my comments are moderated due to spammers and those who like to post horrible things.